.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Animal Adjectives

Looking up 'cervine' to describe my Bambi friend, I came across whole pub-quizzeria of splendid adjectives guaranteed  to stump smart-alecks like me who think they know.

We're used to the common ones like asinine and bovine, feline, vulpine and lupine, etc - but how about ...

  • Alligator - eusuchian
  • Armadillo - tolypeutine
  • Badger - musteline
  • Butterfly - pieridine
  • Cobra - elapine
  • Kangaroo - macropodine (I must try that on my Aussie ocker pals)
  • Mosquito - aedine or anopheline
  • Raccoon - procyonine (aha!)
  • Squirrel - sciurine
  • And so many more ... I mean what about "batrachian" for Toad?

  • Comments: Post a Comment


    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Links
    ARCHIVES