.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Apostrophized Plurals

The always readable Arianna Huffington touches a nerve with her posting about the apostrophe crisis.

I think I'm pretty steady on the old apostrophe except for a blank spot over treating the possessive 'one's' like 'its' and wanting to drop the apo.

Where I have been guilty is tacking on an apostrophe on so-called aesthetic grounds after capitals - CDs, DVDs, POBs, etc.

Now I type it, it looks fine but at my previous jobs I pandered to internal readers.

Arianna's huff has strengthened my sinews.

I see in the comments that someone hasn't grasped the fact that ropes courses can indeed be plural, there being different ropes along the assault course. On the other hand, it could also be the Rope Course, meaning the whole stretch.

But I suspect AH's daughter went on the same course I did where they called it the Ropes Course. Minor point.


Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Links
ARCHIVES