Sunday, October 16, 2005
Now there's a juicy moniker for a nation that loves putting numbers to everything.
Like, "9/11", without which most Brits would still be unaware that we date the wrong way round on this side of the Atlantic.
And now H5N1.
Sounds particularly good in a southern accent, and it won't be long, I fear, before it's sounding alarums in *any* sort of accent.
At present, it's largely met with bovine - make that avian - bewilderment or outright dismissal.
- Never mind, that'll change soon enough ... and where the hell is Romania anyway?
- Michael Leavitt knows where, and he's sort of trying to signal something about high risk.
- Over where my lot are, they're talking when, not whether for a pandemic. Gloomy coves.
- Me, I'm hard-pressed to find people who even know what the blessèd word means.
- Not a problem they have over in Corfu: From 'pandemos' - "pertaining to all people": pan meaning "all" and demos meaning "people."
- Think epidemic. Even better, think *global* pandemic.
- Well, not right now, of course. Finish your latte first.
- But *then* have a think about how hairy things might be getting, around about the time when the Year of the Bird Dog lopes into view.
- Or just think pandemic overeaction.
- For wilder imaginations, think cosy spur and catalyst for pols everywhere to "indulge in unfettered cooperation." Yeh, right.
- Let's see how co-operative everyone is when they're stuck with a 'Jabs Shortage'
Post scriptum: The always pertinent 'Chele comments with two effective links:
Since it's in the news, no point missing out on a bit of touristy touting: Chios is rather a nice isle, gifted with a surprisingly cool site. Rather unGreek for some of the techniques used.
"Bird flu doesn't care if you are a member of the EU or just an EU wannabe (like Romania or Turkey). That's what Greece is finding out, as it reports turkeys on the eastern Aegean island of Chios with H5 infection. Confirmation that it is H5N1 is pending, but given the experience of Romania and Turkey (and maybe Bulgaria and Croatia), few would bet this is Low Pathogenic H5N2."
You can also check out the news section at :
You can almost see your new dog right now . . . running in the sun, chasing Frisbees, doing adorable tricks, puking on the rug at 3 a.m., chewing up your entire porno collection, shedding on everything in sight . . . Still want a dog? Then step right up, you've come to the right place.
Our website provides a portal with all your dog care needs in one place. We know what's its like owning a dog and nurturing him/her till maturity. Its a hard job. You can bookmark this website so that you can come back again and again for all your unanswered question.
You can also order our dog owners guide that goes in depth the process of evaluation yourself and environment for a suitable dog companion.
Links to this post: