.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 20, 2005

joan rivers

Darcus and Joan

What the listeners heard

One of those Wish-You'd-Been-There moments:

Skeletal harridan Joan Rivers and burly broadcaster Darcus Howe going at it hammer 'n' tongs - right there on the Beeb.

darcus howeDarcus Howe had said that he would talk of *Caribbean* children, "... since black offends Joan."

Joan Rivers "Wait. Just stop right now. Black does not offend me. How dare you. How dare you say that. Black offends me? You know nothing about me. How dare you."

Howe: "The use of the term black offends you."

Rivers " The use of the term black offends me? Where the hell are you coming from? You have got such a chip on your shoulder. I don't give a damn if you're black or white. I couldn't care less. It's what the person is. Don't you dare call me a racist. I don't know you. I want an apology."

Libby Purves "I don't think it was personal, Joan."

Rivers "Oh, I think it was, when someone says the term black offends Joan. I will not sit here and be told that. How dare you say that."

Howe "I think this is a language problem."

And so forth.

Absolutely first-rate stuff. I can just imagine Howe's rolling vowels and the jut of those pugilist brows.

Whatever he's selling, he'll be the toast and talk of the land. Whatever she 's selling, she may as well catch the first plane back to where she belongs.

I know the old country's gone to the dogs, but surely people haven't been reduced to tuning in to listen to the likes of her ?

(Clearly not, since not one of my pals seems to have heard it, altho' they all wish they had )

Excellent - everyone's jumping on the race wagon. I may keep a tally:

  • Baltimore Sun
  • "Reality Radio"
  • LA Times
  • Rivers: So bored of race - Daily Telgraph
  • Black jibe, blue rage - The Times
  • Slanging match - Scotsman
  • Rivers of vitriol ... gripping radio - (who else?) Yorkshire Post
  • "Son of a bitch" - The Sun
  • "Who are you calling racist?" - The Independent
  • And so on and so forth ... quel brouhaha ... priceless PR for both parties.

  • Comments: Post a Comment


    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Links
    ARCHIVES