.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

pinball wizard

PINBALL WIZARD

OK, so he's more a V-Game wizard and nor is the kid deaf or dumb. But 1 out of 3 is excuse enough to remember Tommy and Elton's splendidly sinister portrayal of the Pinball Wizard.

(Pause to recall one of the great verses in modern song)
He ain't got no distractions
Can't hear those buzzers and bells,
Don't see lights a flashin'
Plays by sense of smell.
Always has a replay,
'n' never tilts at all...
That deaf dumb and blind kid
Sure plays a mean pinball.

What a splendid way to greet the morning.

I couldn't stop laughing into my kedgeree for the sheer glee and silliness of the story.

*This* is the sort of thing Couric and Lauer should stick to, instead of mincing around with pseudo-serioso expressions as camouflage for their mangling of matters of current affairs or import.

It transformed my day and I wish I had some film of the lad in action to replay endlessly and keep my spirits buoyed.

Brice Mellen is a 17-yr old video gamer, blind from birth through some optic nerve thing, but an absolute whizz at video games at which he whups all comers' derrières.

No idea how he does it, unless it's an aural thing and the games have unique sound effects attached to each move or landscape.

Anyway, the lad was on breakfast TV and was clearly tickled pink - not to mention bemused - by all the praise and attention from us lesser, sight-enhanced mortals.

Also funny and fun - and I hope someone can read Brice the more disgruntled sour grapey comments - is an energetic gamesy thread running the gamut of opinion on this mysterious talent.


Comments:
Ah, Tommy! "Go To The Mirror Boy"..."I'm Free"..."We're Not Gonna Take It"...

You're taking me back, Busker. And if we're speaking of The Who and rock operas, we must include Quadrophenia.

Used to sneak my 35mm camera into concerts and shoot the stars. Have a great pic of Pete Townshend. Hmmm. I'll have to find it and post it...

BB
 
But of course Quadrophenia (and you're rocketing even further in my esteem). In fact, that posting about the V-gamer played havoc with my current job search.

Having mentioned 'Tommy' I had to get it out and play the track, which is nonsense of course because one has to play the whole thing, during which one of course prepares Quadrophenia as next in line. Oh Lord, but of course - Ray Winstone, Toyah Willcox, Sting and so many others.

Not just expensive in time: as I listened, I remember buying RD's solo LP hot off the press - Daltrey because of its opening track, 'One Man Band', which I learnt and added to my own subterranean homesick repertoire.

Of course i fell to wondering about that album which led to checking out amazon which led to further wiping the tread off the MasterCard.

That'll teach me to detour down memory lane, but it'll all have been worth it if you *do* post the Townsend ... you rave, you.
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Links
ARCHIVES