.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

aldous huxley

Aldous Huxley

There's a headline to conjure with that I never thought would grace this blog.

I must confess to not having read Brave New World since prep school - far too young - which is where I also discovered Orwell (whose works I *did* re-read 20 years later, thanks to the file copies being by my left ear.)

Hmm - interesting I mention Orwell ... I wonder if there are two writers less read and more misquoted than this pair?

Anyway, small thing but it annoys the hell out of me and everyone else who watches Zach Braff's clever Garden State movie: at some point a minor character is racking his memory for Aldous' last name ... natalie portman

"Huxtable!" he finally exclaims with evident satisfaction, and then repeats it. "Huxtable!"

No one I've asked can explain what point this deliberate error serves - is it an in-joke? Is there someone in the movie called Huxtable?

Ack - who cares? I really just wanted an excuse to slip in a pic of the lovely Ms Portman ...


Comments:
Huxtable is the last name of the Cosby family in the 80s sitcom "The Cosby Show." Maybe that puts it in context?
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Links
ARCHIVES