Tuesday, March 15, 2005
Silky Solution ~ The Gods not mocked
I was boasting the other day about my success in shifting unwanted CDs via Amazon's Marketplace and included an experience that gives blogging its good name.
"So why haven't you shared this *in* your blog?" I was asked.
- The album I'd listed was the incomparable Yo Yo Ma's masterpiece collaboration on Silk Road
- Almost immediately, one of my fave blogees - I'll call her Miranda - mailed me expressing interest, so I offered to let her hear it first before committing
- Being one of those arrogant types who makes free with using tradespersons to handle simple errands, I told Miranda I'd leave the album with our local grocer and set about making the arrangements.
- Despite some managerial faffing and puffing about not wanting to take responsibility etc, I persevered in my insistence that I had every confidence in the staff's ability to handle this simple transaction. Having contributed generously to the manager's wages over the years, I was not to be nay-said
- Anyway, it wasn't Mister Manager who'd be handling the task, so, I placed the package with a trusted employee and thought nothing more.
- Ahem - everything possible went wrong and Miranda's and my email in-box bulged with apologies and queries, each of us taking blame for the failure to connect
- Now, Miranda and I had only really 'knew' each other via email and our blogs and real-life hassles are not the sort of strain to place on such 'relationships', so I was getting a bit leery about Sods Law placing this strain on what should have been a very straightforward operation.
- If getting the CD to her to test was this hard, Lord knows how we'd fare if she a) didn't like it and needed to hand it back b) *did* like it and needed to get me payment
- After a final mix-up, I was suggesting Plan B when lo! M mailed me that she'd in fact got the package safely
- Now get this: after all the toing and froing, she obviously felt it only polite to give me some background
- She was a fan of Ma's
- It was her *birthday week
- Miracle solution! Of course, like it or not, Miranda should have it as a birthday gift and by way of appreciation of all the pleasure *I* had got from her blog.
- Is that not the gods moving in mysterious ways? I think so.
- Long live the web, long live birthdays
Is that not a perfect encapsulation of blog power?
Links to this post: