Friday, February 04, 2005
State of the NationAfter all my rudenesses and impertinent snipings, a sober assessment was called for.
I dutifully faced the 52" screen of my Samsung 'Delilah' entertainment suite and took notes.
- I swear that Laura Bush gets lovelier and more radiant with every public appearance.
- Her sense of couture is impeccable and she carries herself like an aristocrat
- Make way for The Cabinet: A lot of pseudo town crier-type oyez oyez bellowing and enter as shady a bunch of ne'er-do-wells as I've glimpsed this side of Wandsworth nick. Immediately, disembodied hands reach down from either side of the aisle, desperate to touch these demi-gods.
- Instead of brushing these plebeian gropings aside, the 'cabinet' members indulge in much hand grasping and self-congratulatory smirks and guffaws, reducing what should have been a dignified entrance to the level of a chat-show hullabaloo.
- More stentorian shouting and enter the diminutive occupant of the White House, he too immediately pawed and fondled and, like the preceding ruffians, ^5-ing and giving that simian rictus grin and allowing his stately passage to the lectern to be turned into a fairground melee.
- No sooner does the actual address commence than a burst of self-congratulatory applause and a standing ovation for ... well, themselves.
- Such juvenilia is better reserved for the Dubya's appearance on SNL.
- Here, if anyone is interested, is a parsing of that 'address'.
Links to this post: