Thursday, January 20, 2005
InauGspiciousWhat did I say? I've turned on the TV and they're *still* droning on about this misbegotten inauguration with narry a moment of poise or dignity. On all channels, to boot, so those short-sighted programmers have certainly missed a killer opportunity to give the viewing public something actually worthwhile to watch.
Instead of straining for class (as these affairs always do), why not simply offer something genuinely regal like the Trump/Knauss nuptial?
To tell the truth, I rather suspected we'd be landed with such one-track viewing so, to wrest back some dignity and class to the day, I rented the hilarious Harold & Kumar go to White Castle. Absolutely splendid movie with ace performances by the eponymous heros, a great interview by Bobby Lee (who hands in a devastating cameo as yer typical nerdy asian student), and some real beauty in the form of Paula Garcés.
Not that the day is *completely* wasted. Thanks to the webbèd world I inhabit to the increasing exclusion of actual Life, I have reading matter galore:
- The UK press's take on today's BuSHfoonery.
- The Beeb's take on the tastier tongue-tied tidbits.
- Helpful White House Cliffs Notes.
- Good old Bill Buckley - always good on cutting to the chase, asking what the deuce Bush is actually saying.
- David Corn on talking back. (S'truth, can you imagine Dubya's beetle-browed gaze of horror - that panicking chimpanzee look of his - if he had to tongue it solo? Reminds me of his look when visiting the Houses of Parliament and observing Question Time with MPs leveling unscripted barbed questions at each other).
And didn't her daughter get to trail round with the press corps and capture on film a veritable catalogue of Bush malapropisms and pratfalls? That's the one - hilarious.
Links to this post: