Monday, September 20, 2004
Those days of yore ... before:Excellent piece in 9/19 Sunday New York Times by one Roger Cohen - 'resonated', as the Americans put it.
A streaming catalogue of consciously well chosen beefs of better times gone by, many of which cry out for my kind of treatment for a song. My faves:
- seat belts beeped
- speed cameras and email and overheard cell phone convos
- airports became shopping malls
- break-out sessions and thinking out of the box
- the war on terror
- nurturing replaced good ol' punishment
- gentrification of the Bastille and Brixton
- stock options and stock answers
- relentless pursuit of cool
- jimi died, and janis and jim and jerry and kurt
- 'best of' albums and marketing of tenors
- New Labor
- personal trainers and Pilates and harry Potter
- teenagers said 'totally' and 'like'
- I vowed never to become a curmudgeon waxing lyrical about the past
- spies really did come in from the cold
- we had ideological battles and bruising debates
- every 2nd person wasn't a hero and every 3rd person not a victim and every 4th word wasn't 'stress'
- a thai meal seemed exotic
- snow settled for weeks in London
- things were not 'weird' but 'strange'
- we had outings and treats and loveless marriages that lasted
Comments: Post a Comment
Links to this post: