Wednesday, September 08, 2004
DVD catch-upNice thing about joblessness is the clear conscience with which one can shamble from bed at 4am to catch up on DVDs.
Revisited Four Weddings and found it watchable as ever:
- Simon Callow superb as hearty boyfriend of the dapper John Hannah
- Hannah's funeral reading of the Auden poem a veritable coup de théatre. (I'm told it caused a run on old Cake Face's work)
- Kristin Scott Thomas defining arch sophistication while still able to emote in the scene when she fesses up to love for the feckless Hugh Grant (whose unruly hair is a work of art throughout)
- And something I couldn't have spotted before - how astonishingly like CB's own accent and intonation is Andie MacDowell's murmured speech throughout.
- The movie ends with that Wet Wet Wet song, so I shall probably end up buying the sound track, too.
- Much mirth at the video store when I pointed out the selling copy on the back of the DVD case:
"Welcome to the future of entertainment - the Digital Video Disc. This unique format puts more information and enterainemtn on a single disc than ever bofore. So there are more ways than ever for you to experience and enjoy great films, etc etc."
Comments: Post a Comment
Links to this post: