Sunday, August 01, 2004
Olympic GroansSpoke to Mama today and the big noise around the Big Olive isn't the power failure or ongoing farrago over security arrangements:
- It's the totally Levantine free-for-all that everyone is gearing up for to make absolutely sure that any spirit of Democracy or the Olympics is left bleeding on the plateia.
- And n'oublies-pas the 'warning' stoppages by ambulance drivers, paramedics and hotel workers - nice timing, chaps.
- Favorite euphemism of the season - a sort of sportif version of 'differing social expectations' - "Kin Altruism".
- Most countries go into the appalling chore of hosting this 'event' with the eyes open and some inkling of cost and involvement.
- Ironic that the Home of Democracy should be the least fit (or fitted) to run a decent show. It'll cobble together on the morning, but it'll be a raggle-taggle scenario and read like a Molière rewrite of Chariots of Fire.
Comments: Post a Comment
Links to this post: