Monday, August 09, 2004
Fogey's Blog, 2109 hrsPerfect day, starting 0630 with clear head and healthy brek w/ Tim Russert and George Stephanoppers grilling politcos on the TV.
Two chapters of HomeSite instruction book, gen up on Excel paretos, and thorough going over of Unemployment Bureau site including how to craft job-clinching resumé.
A scorcher - 85°. Nothing for it but to fill G's Nissan with petrol and CDs and cruise off to Fay Bainbridge beach.
Muzak for cool cruising:
- Miles' Porgy & B
- Bert's Avocet
- Bill Frisell's Nashville
- Hodges n Wild Bill
- Trane and Bag Jackson
- Carly Simon
- Rubber Soul
- Any other Miles, Monk, Trane or Frisell
- Any other Beatles
- Dire Straits
- JL Hooker
- James Taylor
- Iris DeMent or Laura Veirs
- Greekie muziki
Home for ham n cheese salad and cranberry juice and third watching of Godard's 'Band of Outsiders' with tantalising Anna Karina (17 yrs) whose 1964 intervue was as interesting as it was salutary to see the now-puffy faced vedette.
Practised guitar in prep for 7:30 open-mike gig at the Pegasus, first time I've graced their presence.
1945hrs: Arrive Pegasus, sign in, nod to familiar faces.
- Some incompetent on a Guild wailing about - well, what was he on about? Mic too close to mouth and guitar over-heavy on bass.
- Next singer - a Peter Phelps - apparently new to the island, but a dab hand on the rags.
- Wailing lady on nylon-string, wishing she'd had a chance to 'tell him you how I felt, maybe ya'd have taken the time to let your cold heart melt ...' Ahem.
- 2000hrs: Lady with Phelps nudges me and gives me thumbs-up n a whispered, "Great!". I smile back.
- 2017: Punk mohican guy takes the mic with such a well-kept mandoline I knew he'd be worth checking out. Plus, he is accompanied by a stunning goth jailbait whose bulging t-shirt I stare at in unseemly fashion. She clearly notices and seems not to care.
Comments: Post a Comment
Links to this post: